Wearing a mask is our new normal. You hear it everywhere: “Be kind and wear a mask.” We’re all about it – especially the “be kind” sentiment – and fully support protecting ourselves and others from the lurking disease we now know as COVID-19.
With that being said, we’re not all about “maskne,” acne caused by mask wearing. We’ve been open for less than two weeks and a majority of our clients are coming in with new breakouts. Especially around the mouth and nose area. These are clients who’ve never really struggled with acne before and their skin is now going bonkers.
Let’s be clear here, stress and wearing a mask increases skin breakouts and other skin concerns. I think it’s safe to say that all of our stress levels have gone up! Plus masks are the newest ‘must have’ accessory. So you can see how all of it combines to “maskne”. And while masks and stress are here for the foreseeable future, that doesn’t mean that “maskne” has to be.
6 Tips to Avoid “Maskne”
- CLEAN YOUR MASK! Ideally, you should clean your mask after every use. We suggest having a few masks on hand, that way you’ll always have a clean one to put on your pretty face.
- Wash your face! We recommend double cleansing. Start off with an oil cleanser to break up any dirt or debris on the skin and finish it off with a daily cleanser.
- Don’t forget to MOISTURIZE during the day and EXFOLIATE at night!
- Add Retinol (Vitamin A) into your nightly regiment!
- Stir clear of applying make-up and sunscreen around the mask area! The combination of friction, sweat, heat is called occlusion. Added substances into the mix will potentially cause even more unwanted breakout!
- LED treatments works to kill bacteria and reduces inflammation quickly with no down time.
These tips are here to help, but make sure you’re not overdoing it with at-home treatments. Adding too many face masks, scrubs, washes, and toners into the mix can actually compromise your skin’s protective barrier. Keep that in mind and let your skin breath in-between at-home spa days. Trust us, you and your skin will thank us for this friendly reminder.
If you’re struggling with “maskne” I hope you find some relief with the above tips. We’re here to help too! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. You can call us at 310.770.8730, DM @faceofjules on Instagram, or email us through our website at www.faceofjules.com.
We’re here to help make your skin goals a reality!
The Face of Jules Team